Introduction to the Whangarei Museum
Kiwi North is home of Whangarei’s Museum, Kiwi House & Heritage Park. It is situated on a 25-hectare historic farm in Maunu, Whangarei, overlooking the harbour and city.
Governed by the Whangarei Museum & Heritage Park Trust we operate through an annual operating grant from the Whangarei District Council, entry fees, donations and grants sought for specific purposes from funding organisations such as ASB Trust and Lotteries. A grant from the Ministry of Education finances the running of the LEOTC programme and enables us to work with all Northland schools and those visiting from other regions.
The Whangarei Museum was established circa 1890 and its first exhibits were housed in the Municipal Buildings in 1916. In the early 1960s it moved from the Municipal Buildings to another building on Cafler Street. In 1973 the Museum collection was packed down again and new premises sought.
In 1972 with the purchase of Glorat House and its surrounding farm and bush-clad land, the Whangarei Museum became a Heritage Park. Over time more historic buildings were added and railway lines, bush walks and a Kiwi House were built. In 1983 the Exhibition Centre was opened, this is now home of the Whangarei Museum and Glorat House became the Clarke Homestead, a L2 category Historic Place.
Whangarei Museum is responsible for several noteworthy collections. In addition to our permanent displays we hold special exhibitions each year. We also hold special family-orientated Event Days several times a year, usually themed with fun activites and where Heritage Park club members open their doors to the public.